Sunday, March 4, 2012

Granny's Piano...

As soon as you walked into Granny's house there was a piano.  It sat there for as long as I can remember.  My cousin took piano lessons on it, and I'll never forget the letters being taped to the keys.  It never meant much when Granny was alive...it was just a piano.  While I did enjoy playing "Heart and Soul" and some other song I learned during my brief stint at piano lessons (Thank you Mrs. Brackeen), I hardly ever remember it being played.  There is, however, a very famous picture that I love...(sorry about the quality!  It's a picture of a picture!)

Cousins:  Lindsey and Michael, Courtney and Me
My grandmother passed away in August of 2002 and I have not seen her piano since December of that year....almost 10 years.  Once her house was sold, the piano moved to my Uncle Chris'.  When he passed away several years later we had it moved into storage in Shreveport since we didn't have room for it here in Houston.  When Baehr and I got married we contemplated moving the piano into our apartment, but moving a piano up to a second floor apartment didn't sound reasonable or fun (haha) so now that we are getting settled into our house it was time to get it here.  

My sister also has a storage unit in Shreveport and decided she needed to go clean some stuff out this past weekend so she volunteered to pick the piano up while she was there.  We got it all set up, and after a few hiccups (the locksmith forgetting to come, not being able to get the lock off for an hour, and not having the right ratchet straps) Courtney finally got it loaded up and headed home.  

Here is the piano in the storage unit....WOOOHOO!  :)
We didn't hire any movers here because Baehr just knew we could move it ourselves.  (He likes to overestimate my strength! haha)  Lucky for us, as soon as Courtney pulled into the driveway, CAL's Kinder teacher and daughter drove up!  :)  They live one street over, and volunteered to help get the piano out of the uhaul and into the house.  We could NOT have done it without them.  

Here is the finished product!
Cal loves it and thinks he needs piano lessons.  Baehr is not sure he loves that CAL loves it!  haha  I love my boys!
I ended the night sitting outside talking to my sister.  We could hear CAL playing the piano from inside and everything felt right.  We are so blessed to have each other, to have amazing parents, to have CAL and Baehr.  We are truly loved and we love each other.  

There isn't a day that goes by that we don't miss Granny.  She is such a huge part of us.  I am just so glad that we have another piece of her here.  Thank you sister!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment ... I would love to hear from you! :)