Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Write yourself a letter...

Today was a regular Tuesday filled with the normal hustle and bustle of a weekday:  work, work, and more work then home.  We did have one exception today though...we met Baehr's parents for dinner tonight.  You can't go wrong with good company and chips and salsa!  :)  

Dinner was scheduled for 6 pm, but I was on the ball today and arrived at the restaurant around 5:30 pm.  Since I was so early I decided to go to the Kroger next door and pick up some cards.  I love the card aisle in Kroger because they have the neatest inspirational books there (along with tons and tons of holiday candy! haha).  In typical Carrie fashion, I got a little distracted and started looking through the books instead of the cards.  Two books caught my eye.  (I will share one now and one later.)  The first one was titled, "What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self".  The book is filled with famous women, their histories, and the letters they would write to their younger selves.  They didn't write a letter that would change their lives, but to encourage and inspire them at a rough time period in their lives.  

I only read about the first two women (Madeleine Albright and Maya Angelou), but it was so interesting to see what these women wrote to themselves.  When I put the book down I thought:  What would I write to my younger self and when would I write it?  So, I am going to do it....right now. 

Time Period:  I am going to write to myself in 2002.  In the fall of 2002, I will lose my grandmother, and find out my dad had kidney cancer.  Here we go...
Dear 2002 Carrie,
You are about to go through one of the hardest years of your life.  Sometimes life doesn't make sense, but trust in the Lord, He has a bigger plan for you.   
Remember to lean on your family, and to cherish every memory you make.   Don't forget to say "I love you" and to hug lots of hugs.  Your family bond is stronger than you think it is.
It's ok to cry and it's ok to be angry.  You ARE going to be OK.  It may not feel like it for a very long time, but you WILL be OK.  You come out of this stronger, and happier than you have ever been.   
Last but not least, don't forget to pray...MIRACLES DO HAPPEN and they come in many forms... (just wait until November 2003!)
Love, 
2012 Carrie 
If I knew then what I know now!  :)  When and what would you write yourself? 


Hope you had a great Tuesday!  
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. Oh 2012 Carrie, how much we have seen and learned?!? Turns out that doctors don't know how long you have to live and what you think is the most horrible situation turns out to be amazing! Just imagine what 2022 Carrie will know...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment ... I would love to hear from you! :)