Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Mom...

When Baehr and I were planning our wedding I was always asked the typical "Are you ready to get married?" questions.  My answer was "YES!"  :)  I loved Baehr, and never had any questions that he was the one for me.  He was perfect in every way.  More perfect, in fact, that he had to be God sent.  I believe my mom prayed for him and God delivered.  (Thank you mom and God!!!!)  And while I was 1000% sure I was marrying the right guy, I was also 1000% sure that I wasn't going to be able to live without my mom.  I remember people asking me if I had any concerns and I would also say, "I am not really sure I am going to be able to leave my mom."  They would laugh like I wasn't serious.  I even told our pre-marital counselor that my only concern was that I wasn't sure how I would handle leaving home.  He laughed.  They thought it was funny because a person couldn't possibly be that attached to their mother.  I was and am and I LOVE IT!  :)
Mom and I on my wedding day!
Wikipedia defines a mother as a "woman who has raised a child, given birth to a child, and/or supplied the ovum that grew into a child.  Because of the complexity and differences of a mother's social, cultural, and religious definitions and roles, it is challenging to specify a universally acceptable definition for the term."  Wikipedia clearly hasn't met my mother or they would have used the words: loving, kind, caring, thoughtful, brave, prayerful, strong, faithful, unwavering, dedicated, irreplaceable and so many more.  Honestly, I don't even know where to start or finish when describing my mother, but I also know that there is no word on Wikipedia or in the Dictionary that describes what my mother means to me.
  
Me and Mom at the Fall Festival
My mother was my PE teacher in Elementary School, my volleyball coach in middle school, my volleyball-basketball-track coach in high school, my fellow coach for the past 10 years, and my very best friend.  She taught me how to pray without ceasing, to never accept a doctor's final opinion, to fight for your family, and stand by your family through thick and thin.  She loves me unconditionally and she can give me the worst guilt trip without even being near me.  (She loves that!  haha) 

Me and Mom at Mt. Nebo State Park
As I write all of these things, I imagine that my mother feels the same way about her mother, and if I was to write a blog about Granny (my mom's mom) I would write the same description that I wrote about my mom.  

Granny was a very important part of our lives growing up.  We spent every holiday and a few weeks in the summer at Granny's.  Her house was our second home, and when we lost her in 2002 it was devastating to all of us.  I miss her every single day, and dream about her not nearly enough.  They say the loss of a loved one gets easier over time...WRONG!  I miss her more now than I ever did, and wish she was here to hold my arm down in Wal-Mart!  :)  
Courtney, cousin Frank Michael, Granny, cousin Lindsey, and me
So here is where my tears begin, and the reason for my incredible January 28th.  

When my mom graduated from college my grandmother gave her a necklace.  It was the diamond from my grandmothers engagement ring reset and put on a silver chain.  For as long as I can remember my mom has worn this necklace.  Every day.  Every single day.  Well, after 35 years of wearing this necklace every single day my mom gave it to me.  There are no words to describe how much this means to me.  Every time I even begin to think about it I burst into tears.  I hope that I never forget how it felt to receive this precious gift, and never take it for granted.  


I love you mom, and I love my necklace!  I thank you for everything you have done for us, and I thank you for making me the person I am today!  You are my blessing beyond blessings! 



You are the sunlight in my day,

You are the moon I see far away.

You are the tree I lean upon,
You are the one that makes troubles be gone.
You are the one who taught me life,
How not to fight, and what is right.
You are the words inside my song,
You are my love, my life, my mom.
You are the one who cares for me,
You are the eyes that help me see.
You are the one who knows me best,
When it's time to have fun and time to rest.
You are the one who has helped me to dream,
You hear my heart and you hear my screams.
Afraid of life but looking for love,
I'm blessed for God sent you from above.
You are my friend, my heart, and my soul
You are the greatest friend I know.
You are the words inside my song,
You are my love, my life, my Mom.


1 comment:

  1. So sweet!!! I love my Auntie too!!!

    Beautiful necklace!!! Now what is my Auntie going to wear??? Guess Steve needs to get her something! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment ... I would love to hear from you! :)