Friday, June 8, 2012

It's all a bit of a dream....

This year, Ray (my boss), decided it would be a good idea to attend the NCAA Championships in San Antonio.  Here at Xtreme ideas are typically just that....IDEAS.  This year, however, a parent got wind of this idea and forced it into reality.  The fun thing (this is my sarcasm) about ideas like this are that I (ME) am in charge to coordinate such things, and since our little club has turned into a 24 team monster, that meant that I was working to make transportation and ticket arrangements for 240 athletes, 24 coaches, Ray, and anyone else who wanted to attend.   WOOOOHOOOO!  (NOT!)  haha 

So after all was said and done, we sent 300 people to San Antonio on coach buses for the day.   The championship game was between UCLA and Illinois.  UCLA ended up winning, and here is where the story gets interesting.

Going to the Championship game then turned into a much bigger idea, that again was supposed to be just an idea.  Ray mentioned that he wanted to see if the "Final Four" coaches would be interested in coming to our gym for a camp, and then kept mentioning Penn State and Russ Rose.  

I was interested ....

I e-mailed all of the coaches, and got responses back from 4 out of the 5 immediately.  Honestly, I thought I was going to get NO response so this was so EXCITING!  I called Ray and was like "You won't believe who already emailed back!"  I talked to him about the details and then emailed the coaches right back with possible dates.  

My excitement turned into major brain frenzy.  Get Penn State and UCLA here and we can call it the Camp of Champions and it will kick off the Summer of Champions.  Penn State won championships from 2007 - 2010 and UCLA won in 2011...the last 5 years of Champions?! YES PLEASE!!!!

Everyone thought I was crazy because at this point I had convinced myself that I was going to do whatever it took to make this happen, and to say I was excited was an understatement!  :)

Within 24 hours I had 3 of the 5 responded to that...2 were yes and 1 was a maybe, and by the end we had Penn State and UCLA with a big YES by their name!  

Thank you Lord!  I KNOW this was an answer to prayer!!!! 

Well, this week was the week!  I was a nervous wreck making sure flights, rental cars, hotels, and food were all coordinated.  We need pictures for the website and for facebook (thank you John Owen), but it all went off without a hitch.... (another answer to prayer!)


UCLA Head Coach Mike Sealy
Penn State Head Coach Russ Rose


All the Athletes and Coaches

I will say that my favorite out of the two was Russ Rose.  He has done so much in his 32 years at Penn State, but shows complete humility in all things.  He is a student of the game and is always trying to improve himself.  He's also my new best friend....or "BFF" according to him!  haha  He is just a great person to learn from and be around.  I am definitely looking for the next opportunity to sit and listen to this volleyball icon!  :)

Me and my new best friend, Penn State Head Coach Russ Rose
Overall, it couldn't have gone better! These two men are not only great coaches, they are great people.  It was the chance of a lifetime, and even though I didn't get to sit in the gym a lot, I learned so much! 

When I woke up this morning, it was like waking up from a dream.  I mean, the top 2 coaches in the nation were at MY job for three days.  I ate lunch with them, chatted with them, and they were a part of my life for a brief moment in time.  They even chatted it up with my mom.   AWESOME!  

I cannot wait for next year! 

Psalm 9 : 1 - 2
I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.  
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment ... I would love to hear from you! :)